Tuesday 1 March 2016

CHAPTER 14: BLOOD ON THE ALTAR

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND COMMITMENT.
YOU CAN NOW PURCHASE BLOOD ON THE ALTAR BY CLICKING HERE
THANK YOU


Chapter 14



After Sarah and Bukky were dismissed by the Pastor, they both walked together in silence to the main auditorium for different reasons best known to each one of them. For Sarah, she was merely going there to wait for Blessing- they had unfinished business, but Bukky just wanted a quiet place to talk. She wouldn’t allow this moment to pass before asking Sarah what she deserved for her part which she believed she had played well.


Immediately Bukky saw that Sarah was seated alone, she went over to her side and sat silently.


“You know we’re not supposed to be seen together.” Sarah said quietly. “Let’s meet at my place.”

“You see,” Bukky began, “that is exactly where the problem lies. You don’t have a place.”

“How do you mean?”

“How do I see you? People said you were ill, that was why you haven’t been in Church. Some said you travelled.”

“So, what is the point?” Sarah asked confused where she was going.

“Well, it means you cannot be trusted. How do I know I will meet you at home?”

“Listen, come see me this evening, okay?”

She chuckled and scoffed, “no, give me what I want now. The time frame between now and the evening is enough time for you to vaporize.”

“Listen, Bukky, I don’t have it here, okay?”

“What do you mean you don’t have it here? It’s just a phone number!  I asked you before going along with the plan if you’ve gotten what I demanded for when you came to my house and ask to help you today, you said yes, now, you’re saying you don’t have it again? Now you see what I meant by…”

“Stop this!” Sarah stopped her. She looked around quickly to be sure no one was hearing them because Bukky was getting lousy about this. “See, you need to…”

“Don’t, don’t, okay?” Bukky interjected.

“Don’t even tell me to lower my voice. This is on you if it blows.”

“Okay, okay,” Sarah forced a smile, “calm down. You don’t even want to hear me out?”

Bukky sighed, she looked away, “Sorry, go ahead.”

“Hey, can we do this later? I mean…”

“No!” Bukky said sternly. “Listen…”

“No, you listen to me,” she stopped her and gestured with her eyes towards the altar. Bukky looked in that direction and saw both Blessing and Hannah talking. They’ve just finished with the Pastor. “I don’t want them to see us talking. They might begin to suspect that we both planned this.”

“That is not my problem, Sarah. I will come see you in the evening. I better meet you or I will meet with the Pastor.”

“You will meet me at home!” Sarah said between clenched teeth.

It is apparent she has bitten more than she can chew. Bukky stood on and dragged her feet along. Sarah watched her leave. As she turned around to check the two ladies who were talking, they were already upon her; Blessing held Hannah by her hand like a good Sister.

“Like I told you, you can’t blame Sister Sarah for looking for her lost phone. And if you insists the condoms were planted, we will get to the bottom of this, okay?” She was talking to Hannah.

“Okay, Ma. Thanks for everything.”

Hannah said and made to leave. She locked her eyes with Sarah who has been staring at her. She hissed as she passed by her. Sarah shook her head and smiled. She watched her exited the building. She stood up and walked towards Blessing, folded her arms and smiled,

“Thanks for everything?” Sarah mimicked Hannah’s voice.

Blessing rolled her eyes and folded her arms.

“If only she knew you were the devil here,” Sarah said to Blessing.

“And what does that make you, an angel?” Blessing countered.

“I still don’t get it, I mean, why are you doing all these? I got Mr Eric’s part, I…I don’t know why you ousted Sister Joy, though, I understand mine too, but her, Hannah, she’s practically harmless to you or your ambition.”

“You don’t have to understand, the Church of God needs to be purged of all atrocities and their incessant perpetrators.”

Sarah’s face lit up and she laughed loudly. Blessing watched in silence, expressionless until suddenly, she looked like she saw a ghost with her serious countenance. She cleared her throat,

“The Coordinator is coming,” she said. “Let’s go, we can talk on our way home.”

Sarah glanced backwards and saw him standing at the entrance, “Oops, you’re right. Let’s go,” she whispered.

They picked their bags and hurried along. The Coordinator wasn’t even worried about them; he was more worried about how not to lose his position.

“So, why were you laughing?” Blessing asked once they were far from the Church premises, walking home.

“What? When?”

“When I said the Church needs…”

“Oh, that?” She started laughing again. Blessing watched her like she was confused.

“You know this is funny, right?” Sarah asked.

“How?”

“How? Are you asking how? Seriously, if you think the Church needs to be purged, what happens to you?”

“What do you mean by that?” Blessing asked. She stopped Sarah and made her face her, “Listen, you may think I am evil here…”

“You are evil,” Sarah calmly cut in.

“Then I am a necessary evil,” she said. “You all need to be purged from the Church of God.”

“You first, Blessing.” Sarah replied.

“The Church needs people like me.” Blessing stood her ground. “People who will make those decisions the Pastors are afraid to make. Who could believe the Pastor wasn’t aware that that dog and that bitch were having an affair.”

“If you’re talking about Brother Ade and Hannah, I don’t think you have a proof.”

“My instincts don’t lie.”

“Oh, yeah? I pretty much doubt that.”

“You shouldn’t. For example, I always knew you were a prostitute, unfit for the role of a leader in the Church of God.”

“I beg your pardon!” Sarah was offended but had little or no choice.

“Please don’t. You disturbed the sleeping dog.”

“Okay, what about Sister Joy? She was practically harmless!”

“Well, my instinct doesn’t agree with that.  Besides, since you, the Church-daughter is a prostitute…”

“Was,” Sister Sarah corrected. “And please, stop using that word.”

“Okay, I’m sorry. But like I was saying…”

“It’s…it’s enough, okay? I get it. Let’s forget about this. I’m sure I did my part, I am free now, right?”

“Yeah…I guess so.” She replied. “But wait, I…I am sure all these aren’t connected with that fat thing?”

“What fat thing?”

“Bukky.”

“Oh, that. Well, indirectly.”

“What do you mean ‘indirectly’?”Blessing asked. “You shouldn’t have been near her at all!"

“Are you serious? You asked me to plant a condom, I need to look for a way to make it work, remember?

“You should be smarter than involving Bukky.”

“I see,” she scoffed. “You wanted me to lose my phone, check the bags, and find the phone at the same time? No, I am smarter than that. Besides, who else do you think is dirty to have agreed to play that part?”

“Anyone but Bukky will do,” Blessing insisted. “What is in it for her? How did you made her agree to do it?”

“Well, you’re not the only smart ass, are you? I simply lied that I will connect Jackson and her?”

“What? Jackson and… and…her?” Blessing asked unbelievably.

“I know. Jackson won’t even agree to shake her hands.”

“Then why did you do it, knowing you couldn’t give her what she wanted? I thought you said you’re smart?” Blessing scoffed.

“Bukky won’t do Jack. She’s in this thigh deep as much as I am. She won’t rant about this. She is part of this. So, if I am going down, she will too.”

“And you think she cared about going down? The fatty has no friends; she will gladly go down as long as she takes someone along.”

“Some people, not someone,” Sarah corrected.

“What do you mean?”

“If she rats, which I hope, for our sake, she doesn’t, then they will ask why I did it, and I will tell them why.”

Blessing was silent; both of them looking like a lost sheep.

“You got to do something,” Sister Mary broke the silence.

“You are the smart one, think about something,” Blessing replied Sister Mary, loud enough for Sarah to hear.

“I thought you just said I wasn’t smart,” Sarah said, thinking Blessing was talking to her. “And now you are saying I am the smart…”

“I wasn’t talking to you, dumbass.” Blessing brought her to size.

“Oh…then think about something.” Sarah said with contempt.

“Well, I have,” she smiled. “Tell Bukky that you found out that Jackson has HIV or some disease, and then hook her up with Johnson. Johnson probably will do a pig if he sees one; he doesn’t have a taste. He chases anything in a skirt. And our little miss piggy will agree; she is probably just sex starved. Go talk to Johnson; I will inform him you are coming.”

Sarah sighed, “Thank God ,” she placed her hand on her chest. “I think that will work.”

“I know you are smart,” Sister Mary complimented her lover who answered back,

“Of course, I am.”

“What?” Sarah asked.

“I wasn’t talking to you.”

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Sarah asked, puzzled. “Do you talk to yourself now?”

“Go clean your mess and stop worrying about us,” Blessing goofed again.

“Us?” Sarah asked, now bewildered.

“Have a nice time, Sarah.” She answered evasively and swaggered away.

Sarah watched her in a confused state.

               

              ********************


On her way home, Blessing picked her phone and called Emeka’s number, it didn’t ring much before he picked up,

“Hello, honey, you good?”

“The test is three weeks’ time; you need to talk to your boy to do something before that time or we don’t exist anymore.”

“Relax, it will happen.” Emeka said confidently.

“Then until it does, I’m sorry I can’t see you.”

“Don’t do this, Blessing. I have missed you so much. It’s been long since we…”

“Then tell James to hurry up, or it will be forever.” She replied and hung up.



          *********************


James’s disconnected Emeka’s call and he became uneasy. He doesn’t know how to explain again that Hannah abides by her rule of not coming over to his place or meeting in the lonely places again. She said she wanted to keep herself holy till she got married. She has been like that since her promotion to the main Choir. Now, Emeka said he has two weeks more or the group comes hard against him. He wouldn’t want that. He picked his phone up and called Hannah, the response was expected,

“James, I’ve told you to come see me in my Sister’s house or we meet at the plank as usual. I already…”

“I know what you said, baby, but you need to understand that it hasn’t been easy…”

“If you’re ready to see me, baby, you know what to do. I am not coming over,” Hannah insisted.

“But…”

“See, James, I have a vocal practice, can we talk later?”

“I…”

“Please, baby,” she interjected with a baby-like voice, more like sexy-like.

“Okay,” James gave in, “call me after the….”

“I will, I will. I love you.” She blew a kiss and disconnected.

James threw away his phone so hard he didn’t mind if it got broken. He looked at the sleeping drug he had purchased from the store earlier. He fiddled with it for a while. He let it slid from his palm to the floor and buried his head in his hands. He started to cry.



END OF 14

0 comments:

 
/div>