Tuesday 24 May 2016

CHAPTER 8: THE FATE THAT NEVER WAS

CHAPTER 8

Emeka got home very late in the evening- he appeared very tired. Uncle James had asked him to see him for an important discussion. That was exactly four days after Ade had left with the girls. Although, Uncle James had called Emeka immediately the guys left, but, Emeka could only make it home, three days after.

Uncle James was mixing some concoction when Emeka emerged. One of his eyes was swollen while the forehead was plastered. Uncle James dropped what he was doing and ran to meet his nephew, who also has a sling around his neck for his left arm.

“What is the meaning of this? Who did this to you?” Uncle James bellowed in anger.

“Good evening Uncle, I am sorry I couldn’t make it home three days ago.” Emeka answered, evasively.

“That wasn’t my question, Emeka. I said, who did this to…”

“Nobody, Uncle James. It was an accident. I fell off the stairs.” He lied. He couldn’t have told him about his encounter with Pastor Hulk. His Uncle would have been ashamed that he got a beating because of a girl.

“Well, I hope you are fine?” Uncle James asked and Emeka said, “Yes, I am. Thank you.”

“Now, you may go inside while I finish this medicine for a client of mine. Bathe, eat and sleep- we have something important to discuss- maybe tomorrow.”

Emeka nodded and dragged himself inside.


*********************

Bukky and Ade watched as Blessing pasted her phone against her ears. She has been on that call for fifteen minutes. Bukky and Ade were eager for her to be done with the call so as to know the next step- Blessing listened with rapt attention.

“I think it will work out.” Bukky whispered and smiled to Ade who only patted her while his eyes were fixed on Blessing.

Blessing shook her head slowly and she readjusted the phone with her other hand. After a while, she was done with it. She gently placed her phone of the table and looked at Bukky and Ade whose eyes were asking, “How was it?”
Blessing shook her head slowly. Bukky took a quick disappointed look at Ade who happened to do the same.

“You mean…?”

“He denied!” Blessing interjected Bukky.

“Is he crazy or what?” Ade shouted and stood up abruptly.

“I think you need to talk to your friend. He cannot deny this pregnancy!” Bukky said to Ade..

“Blessing… please, relax, I think I need to see Uncle James. I will be back.” Ade said and left.

Bukky sat closer to her friend on the bed, “What did that bastard say?” She asked annoyingly.

Blessing replied with rains of tears. Bukky tried to pacify her.

“He… He… He said…” She sobbed, “Can you imagine Emeka calling me a prostitute? Can you?” She asked Bukky with a faint voice.

“He did what? Is he crazy or what? Let me ask you, was he not the first guy?”

“Bukky, you know me.” She cried and placed her hand on her chest, beating it softly. “You know me, you know Emeka is the only guy with me.”

“I know…I know. You know, guys are very funny. Maybe he read a message on your phone or …”

“Bukky, you’re hurting me! What messages could it be? What other guy? Ever since I gave him the chance, I ensured I am as transparent as I could, just to avoid this type of situation?”

“Listen, Blessing, the best thing to do is to avoid this… this issue of… erm… sex, completely. I mean, when all these is over!”

Blessing looked at her slowly and shook her head, with her forefinger in between her teeth, immersed in regret.

Bukky continued, “If a guy really likes you, let him wait for you. If he is in a hurry, let him work hard and start preparing for the wedding. I have never allowed Ade to go beyond pecking and holding hands. If he doesn’t like it, he may leave. I am not saying that virginity is chastity or good behavior, but we all need to avoid these idiots who walk around shamelessly with their third legs, looking for whom to destroy.”

“Bukky, Bukky, please, I am not worried about all you’re saying. It is too late already, what do you think I should do?” Blessing sobbed.

“Well, I don’t know of your own plan. I can only advice you based on your interests.”

“I can’t believe this is happening to me!” Blessing lamented.

“Like you said, it is too late already, we should talk about the solutions- the future.”

“I don’t think I have one without Emeka.” Blessing said, much to Bukky’s disappointment. “Bukky, maybe we should wait a little and give him some time. Maybe he will come around. What do you think?”

Bukky was lost in words, she opened her mouth and closed it again- no word came out. Blessing continued in her folly,

“Maybe if you talk to him, he will listen to you. You know, he respected you a lot. I believe he is still angry and will see things the right way.”

“Listen, Blessing,” Bukky stopped her after she couldn’t take it anymore, “Emeka had already seen things the right way- his own right ways, and that was why he arrived at that conclusion. You need to…”

“No, Bukky, no.” Blessing interjected. “You cannot just say that. He may going through a major stress that…”

“Enough of this folly!” Bukky shouted her down. “Why are you this insane? What has Emeka done to you? I hope he hasn’t bewitched you with a love spell?”

Blessing sighed. “He didn’t. I love him. I am sorry that you may not understand what that means.”

“Oh, I love myself. I love my parents and I love my family. I love my future and I love Ade too. That was why I decided not to be carried away in this ten minutes madness and jeopardize everything I love!” Bukky clapped back.

“I didn’t mean it that way.” Blessing said. “What do you think I should do?”

“I will be blunt with you- abort this pregnancy and continue with your life. Don’t jeopardize your life by pitching your tent with a guy like Emeka. He is already proving that he is an animal. Even if you marry him, do not expect any special treatment.”

“You don’t know that!” Blessing defended Emeka. “I told you, that Hannah-of-a-witch could have bewitched him! Maybe we should pray for him.”

“God forbid!” Bukky growled. She shook her head as she looked at her friend with uttermost pity. “You should make up your mind, and you should do that real fast.”

“I already did.” Blessing replied. She was looking out of the window.

“And that is?”

Blessing turned to face her friend and coldly replied, “Emeka will come around. I will start praying and fasting by tomorrow. I will keep this pregnancy.”

Bukky shook her head in anger and left for the lecture room.

END of 8

0 comments:

 
/div>